Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Eat your Vegetables!

Darby made spagetti with ground beef sauce on Jan 28th, I didn't intend for that night to be my last meal with meat....but it was. I hadn't realized how little meat I had been eating around that time until about three days later when it hit me that I hadn't had anything with meat since . So I thought, well lets see how long we can keep this awareness up and challenged myself to try it for 2 weeks. I didn't miss meat at all and I felt so much better!


So being the OCD Jess that I am, I had to research the whole vegetarianism thing to make sure we weren't depleating ourselves of any vitamins or nutrients, etc. Now after many trips to the library for books, watching tons of documentaries and some newly aquired magazine subscriptions later, I feel like I got a handle on this whole thing! The entire family has been on this new lifestyle journey too (with an exception being the Mexico cruise where I let them eat whatever they wanted). Besides that, they have really embraced it! It's going on 4 months now, with no turning back!


We have also eliminated a lot of animal bi-products from our diet too, so I guess you can say we are Vegan"ish" as well:

Replaced mayo with Follow Your Heart Vegenaise.

Milk replaced with Soy, Rice and Almond milk (depending on recipe).

Butter replaced with Earth Balance Organic Vegan spread and sticks, also cooking with a lot more EVOO, Sesame and Canola Oil.

Added new pantry staples like Flax seed, TVP, Bob's Red Mill Organic Whole Wheat Patry Flour, Ener-G Egg replacer and Nutritional Yeast to name a few.

These all things that we've made at home:



Marinating tofu for a nights dinner.


Vegan Tempeh Enchiladas with Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream!

Vegan Pizza recipe with Pesto and Tofu Ricotta cheese!

Walnut meatballs with Bechamel sauce over fettucini!

My meatless Shepards Pie!


A batch of homemade Indian spiced rice!

(Fake) chicken tostadas with coconut milk and cilantro corn!

(Fake) Chicken parmesan with veggie fettucini.

TVP sloppy joes with chickpea gravy over mashed potatoes with corn.

Tofurky Keibasa spagetti, Evan's favorite!

Schezuan Spicy Tofu stirfry!


Broccoli and Spinach pasta casserole.




Trying new things at breakfast has been fun too!

In addition, I make a fresh batch of granola every week!


French toast in a soy milk/chickpea flour batter with fake bacon.

Tofu fritatta with roasted potatoes anf fake bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment